History

The following is an excerpt of The Catholic Church in the Rio Grande Valley: A Journey of Faith by Brenda Nettles Riojas.


Our Lady of St. John of the Fields Catholic Church started as a mission church in 1951 in Mission Acres, an area marked with no paved streets or streetlights.  The Oblate Fathers purchased a small one-room house on two acres where they offered Mass.  The ringing of the church bell that hung on a mesquite tree notified the faithful Catholics of the service.

A mission of Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, the church was later assigned to the care of St. Paul's Parish in Mission. 

On May 11, 1969, Bishop Humberto S. Medeiros decreed Our Lady of St. John of the Fields as a parish, along with San Martin de Porres in Alton, by dividing the parish of St. Paul.  Norbert Deddens, pastor of San Martin de Porres, served as administrator of the parish.  A new church was built that same year for Our Lady of St. John of the Fields.  Father Deddens, who returned to the parish in 1980 added a CCD Center and Parish Hall in 1981.







 Our Lady of St. John of the Fields Catholic Church
Silver Jubilee - Celebrating 25 years of being a Parish

Misa Solemne Pontifical en Gratitud
Bishop Enrique San Pedro, S.J.
Bishop of Brownsville

October 25, 1992
Thirtieth Sunday in Ordinary Time


Ċ
Angel Barrera,
Apr 12, 2012, 1:20 PM
Comments